Call to Action - teaching democracy with music
Tired of worksheets and video clips? Want to explore democracy with your students in a different way?
Below you can find a Call to Action, a musical resource for you to unpack Australia’s democracy with your students. This is an original piece commissioned by MoAD and written, composed and produced by Tim Bevitt. As well as providing a history of our democracy, the song explores our rights and responsibilities as active citizens. It has a call to action – to motivate students to find their voice and to take action on issues that they are passionate about in our society. Together, they can make a difference and create positive change.
The song supports content within the HASS Civics and Citizenship sub-strand for Years 5, 6 and 7 of the Australian Curriculum and the Civics and Citizenship strand for Years 7, 8, and 9 of the Australian Curriculum. It is also supports the Literacy General Capabilities for Years 5-10.
Ways you can use it
- As an introduction to civics and citizenship and democracy
- As a revision of civics and citizenship and democracy
- As a way to engage your students with issues in your school/community – see the Student Representative and Pastoral Care Group Resource below
- If you have a school choir, sing the song at an assembly or concert
Make a music video to accompany the song – competition entries due 26th November 2019 – see our Competitions and Challenges page for more information!
Teacher and student resources
- Call to Action – full mix
- Call to Action – instrumental mix
- Call to Action – song lyrics
- Call to Action – piano score and lyrics
- Call to Action – Teacher Resource
- Call to Action – Student Representative & Pastoral Care Group Resource
- Call to Action – Want More? Extension Activities
- Call to Action – Australian Curriculum 8.3 links