Political cartooning resources
Australia has a rich tradition of political cartooning, nothing and no one is sacred, all politicians and policies may face the brute force of the cartoonist’s pen.
Behind the Lines: The Year’s Best Political Cartoons is an annual exhibition run by the museum bringing together a selection of the best works of the last year.
Below are a range of resources to assist students understand more about political cartooning. These resources link to curriculum areas, including HASS, Civics and Citizenship, History, English, Visual arts or Media arts.
MoAD political cartoon resources
- Billy Hughes at War: How to read a political cartoon
- John Frith: the art of politics
- Behind the Lines
Behind the Lines curriculum themes
Teacher and student resources
- Behind the Lines exhibition student worksheet - primary
- Behind the Lines exhibition student worksheet - secondary
- Hidden Meaning Revealed: teacher education resource
- What is a political cartoon?
- How to analyse a political cartoon
- Humour and caricature
- Time to draw a caricature