Democracy, Media and Me
Join the MoAD Learning team from your own classroom as they facilitate a digital excursion program called Democracy, Media and Me.
Learn how your students can be active citizens and inspire them to consider how they can make a difference in society.
This program is suitable for students in classrooms, hospital schools and distance education settings. The program:
- visits special places in the building
- brings historical events and people to life
- analyses primary and secondary sources
- involves students in group activities and quizzes
- explores student’s rights and responsibilities in our democracy
- provides pre and post activities for students and teachers
Information packs for each educational setting can be downloaded below:
Promotional flyer ( PDF, 379KB)
Program information pack and curriculum links (PDF, 840KB)
- Set-Up Instructions information pack - Teachers (PDF, 1MB)
- Set-Up Instructions information pack - Parents (PDF, 725KB)
Pre and post activities for classroom use:
Crossword - A History of Old Parliament House (PDF,514KB)
MoAD Location (PDF, 279KB)
Play our Kahoot - Democracy Media and Me (PDF, 256KB)
Student Glossary (PDF, 276KB)
Want More - Extension Activities (PDF, 138KB)
What technology is needed?
Connecting for a program while at school?
All you need is the free Zoom application downloaded on ONE iPAD (similar device) which is connected to an interactive whiteboard/similar display set up in your classroom. We then send the organizing teacher a meeting number.
Connecting with students while they are at home?
Students download the free Zoom application to their chosen device (eg iPAD, smart phone) and we send the teacher contact a meeting number to send to their students – so their class can connect with us for the booked facilitated program with their teacher.
This program is free.
Terms and Conditions (PDF, 72KB)
Complete the booking enquiry form below to let us know when you’d like a program and we’ll be in touch!
Do you have a student who can't join us for the live program with their classmates? Do you need a flexible delivery option? Complete this form to obtain a pre-recorded version of the excursion.
- 1 of 4
- 2 of 4
- 3 of 4
- 4 of 4
*Australian Curriculum V8.3 – Curriculum Learning Areas
- The key values that underpin Australia’s democracy (ACHASSK115)
- How people with shared beliefs and values work together to achieve a civic goal (ACHASSK118)
- The key institutions of Australia’s democratic system of government and how it is based on the Westminster system (ACHASSK143 )
- The responsibilities of electors and representatives in Australia’s democracy (ACHASSK145)
- The roles and responsibilities of Australia’s three levels of government (ACHASSK144 )
- The shared values of Australian citizenship and the formal rights and responsibilities of Australian citizens (ACHASSK147)
Civics and citizenship
- The key features of government under the Australian Constitution with a focus on: the separation of powers, the roles of the Executive, the Houses of Parliament, and the division of powers (ACHCK048)
- The freedoms that enable active participation in Australia’s democracy within the bounds of law, including freedom of speech, association, assembly, religion and movement (ACHCK061)
- How citizens can participate in Australia’s democracy, including use of the electoral system, contact with their elected representatives, use of lobby groups, and direct action (ACHCK062)
- How laws are made in Australia through parliaments (statutory law) and through the courts (common law) (ACHCK063 )