Sustainable Change Makers
Explore the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and empower students to become positive change makers in their school and community. Our World, Our Community: Becoming Global Citizens is a collection of resources designed to hook students into building an awareness of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and how they can create positive change in the world.
Each activity will stimulate curiosity and create learning opportunities, and encourage thinking about practical, meaningful change on a local level through to a global scale.
Our World, Our Community: Becoming Global Citizens is a collection of activities and resources to support the integration of Sustainable Development Goals into the classroom. These include introductory activities, a teacher resource with visual provocations for selected SDGs and suggested resources and provocations, as well as Inquiry and STEAMD booklets to assist with creating meaningful, self-directed student action through the lens of a chosen SDG.
- Our World, Our Community: Introductory Activities
- Our World, Our Community Teacher Resource: SDG Provocations (and Complimentary Resources)
- SDG Provocation – Goal 3 Good Health and Well-being
- SDG Provocation – Goal 6 Clean Water and Sanitation
- SDG Provocation – Goal 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG Provocation – Goal 15 Life on Land
- Student Inquiry Booklet
- Student STEAMD Booklet
Sustainable Changemakers: Lunchbox Citizens
Through Sustainable Change Makers: Lunchbox Citizens, students will explore the growing global waste problem. During the school day, students generally participate in recess and lunch activities. Drawing on their knowledge of the lunchbox, this resource uses this common item and its contents to start a serious conversation about the impacts of rubbish on our plane. In particular, the excessive amount of problematic and single-use plastics thrown away every day.
Looking to combine social change and sustainability into a rich inquiry and STEAMD (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Democracy) approach? Check out these resources which are designed to encourage critical thinking and empower authentic student voice and agency.
- Sustainable Change Makers: Teacher Resource and Curriculum links (4.4 MB)
- Unpacking the Lunchbox: Resource List (43 KB)
- Unpacking the Lunchbox: Booklist (1.5 MB)
- Student Inquiry booklet (296 KB)
- Student STEAMD booklet (461 KB)
- Hexagon Thinking activity sheet (12 KB)
- Scavenger Hunt on Waste activity sheet (29 KB)
- Bento Box Planning template (41 KB)
- Bento Box Independent lesson plan (879 KB)