Planning your visit
Getting to the museum
The hours of pay parking operation are 8.30 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
- Limited short stay parking is available throughout the Parliamentary Triangle, including around Old Parliament House.
- The NCA has produced a map showing the areas in Parkes where pay parking applies.
Culture Loop Bus Service
Board at any of the conveniently located stops to enjoy the free shuttle service seven days a week from 9am to 5pm. Park once and ride the shuttle to your favourite venues and experience an array of exhibitions, galleries, collections, stories and events.
Check the timetable to plan your trip.
Atrractions and places of interest on the route.
- Canberra Centre, Cooyong Street, Canberra City (near Target), 6247 5611
- NewActon, Edinburgh Avenue, Canberra, 6171 8400
- National Museum Of Australia, Lawson Crescent, Acton Peninsula, 6208 5000
- National Film And Sound Archive, McCoy Circuit, Acton, 6248 2000
- National Capital Exhibition, Regatta Point, Commonwealth Park, 6272 2902 and Canberra And Region Visitors Centre, Regatta Point, Commonwealth Park, 1300 554 114
- National Library Of Australia, 20 Parkes Place, Parkes, 6262 1111 and Questacon, King Edward Terrace, Parkes, 6270 2800
- Museum Of Australian Democracy, 18 King George Terrace, Parkes, 6270 8222
- Australian Parliament House, Federation Mall, Capital Hill, 6277 5399
- Canberra Museum And Gallery, 176 London Circuit, Canberra City, 6207 3968
Transport Canberra Bus Services
The museum is accessible from Canberra’s City Centre via Transport Canberra.
Bus number 7, 5 and 2 runs from the City depot.
The closest bus stop is Parkes Place (Stop ID: 3260), just 450m away from the Museum.
Visitor Services staff are able to book taxis upon request at the Reception desk.
General access to the building is via sixteen steps to the Main entry with further internal steps to both floors. For visitors unable to use stairs, stairless access is available via the Lower entries which are located to either side of the front stairs. Visit the accessibility page for more information.
To preserve the heritage coverings and furniture of the building we ask visitors to cloak large backpacks, umbrellas, camera tripods, food and drink. Cloaking is available upon entry at Reception.
For safety reasons, visitors may be required to present their bags for inspection.