Democracy. Are You In?
Democracy is a living system and it works best when there is a healthy balance between trust and distrust - but that balance is tipping. Distrust is on the rise, and confidence in our political and social institutions is at its lowest point in decades.
Told through powerful stories of democracy in action, this exhibition will provoke thought and motivate visitors to recognise the power of their voice.
This contemporary exhibition uses a range of photographs, objects and audio visual elements in unique and engaging ways and aims to both empower and inspire visitors to recognise that our freedoms and our way of life are built on the foundation of democracy. Visitors are encouraged to come to their own conclusions about where Australia’s democracy sits on a global scale.
Our democracy needs us. Are you in?
Get involved online on our Democracy. Are You In? Let's Talk, Let's Act page.
Findings around trust and democratic satisfaction come from research conducted by the Institute for Governance and Policy Analysis (IGPA) at the University of Canberra.
- The Power of One Voice - Power, Powerlessness and Australian Democracy (PDF, 2.9mb)
- How Australians Imagine Their Democracy: The "Power of Us" (PDF, 5mb)
- Democracy 100 You Can Make a Difference. Towards a Charter For Australian Democracy? (PDF, 3.9mb)
- Democracy Index 2017. Free Speech Under Attack (PDF, 1.6mb)
- Globally, Broad Support for Representative and Direct Democracy (PDF, 500kb)